True Connection





By Erin Paolercio

So, I've got this word "connection" on my mind.  Webster defines the word "connect" to join, link, or fasten together; unite or bind.  That's a simple, straightforward definition. Yet, this definition alone doesn't quite cut it for me.  There's more to this word, so I decided to go deeper with it.

As women, we by our very nature long for connection.  We desire this to the core.  Our beautiful Creator must have had a great purpose in mind when He placed this longing within us.  We weren't made to be alone, to walk alone.  We were made for more....we were made for connection.

The most beautiful sense of connection I can picture is the kind that brings oneness, especially the true oneness with the heart of Jesus...wow!  Connection with His heart is what I long for more than anything.  I never feel more complete than when I am resting, walking....living from that place of connection with Him.

What about the hearts all around me?  My husband, my children, my family and friends?  What about my church and community?  What about this prayer Jesus prayed that His body would be one, like He was with His Father? (John 17).  Think about it, Jesus, the Son of God, prayed for this! He prayed for connection among His people, for the church yet to come....us!

Sometimes it's so much easier to stay in that place of quiet oneness with The Lord (the ultimate place to be), and yet miss the cry of His heart for true connection with others around us, especially within His body, His family of believers.  Let me reiterate from before, we all long for connection, it's how He made us!  How beautiful it is to tap deeper into connection with those we are closest to?  I think of the book The Five Love Languages, by Gary Chapman.  I love this book!  I love the one for kids too! I love learning what makes my man and my little men tick, but more so, what makes them feel loved and connected! It's awesome.  Now, family comes first, absolutely.  What about God's family?

What if I were to seek out God's "love language," if you will?  What makes His heart sing?  My worship?  Yes.  My devotion?  Absolutely.  My connection with the family of God?  Deeply so.  There is a Greek word that speaks of true fellowship throughout the New Testament.  The word is "koinonia," which signifies fellowship with God and bonding with other believers.  In John’s first epistle, he tells us how this bond comes about. He writes, “That which we have seen and heard we declare to you, that you also may have fellowship (koinonia) with us; and truly our fellowship (koinonia) is with the Father and with His Son Jesus Christ.” (1 John 1:3).  Koinonia also carries the meaning of being bonded for a united purpose.  How cool is that?  Not only are we created for connection, but it carries a purpose.  Jesus prayed for this oneness among us, "so that the world may believe You sent me." (John 17:21).  A little further He said in verse 23, "that the world will know You sent me, and loved them, even as You have loved me."  The Author of love Himself then becomes the greatest Gift of love to us, to the world.  How does that speak for your own love language? Just a thought.

Koinonia.  Connection.  Oneness.  We were made for this!  Why, because we were made for love...the Father's love, straight from His heart.  We were given the ability to express this to one another.  In a culture that is dying, the prayer of Jesus remains for His church.  If I were to give my own Message Bible version it might read like this, "I want you all to get together, connect, have real fellowship with Me and with each other.  Don't hold back because the world needs to see this.  It is their window into my heart, how I can draw them closer to Me. For your own sakes and for the world, be one."

Back to the start, connection.  A simple word, carrying incredible depth of meaning.  For me, my prayer is that as women, we reach even further for connection with our God, within our homes and within our church.  I believe that the church united is what will ultimately transform communities, town and cities.  Let's connect, in the koinonia sense...bonded for the purposes held within the very heart of Jesus to know Him, and make Him known!!


0 comments:

Post a Comment