"When You Have No Words"

By Amy Pasinski

We as women, are rarely without words.  I think it's pretty safe to say, we "always" have something to say!  If we don't say it out loud, we certainly don't hold back in our heads.  Words are the way in which we communicate to one another.  What happens then, when we have no words?  

I received a phone call from a friend, who's family was facing their darkest battle.  She poured her heart out to me, as I inwardly felt like I was going to vomit.  As she finished sharing her pain with me there was silence.  It was my turn to talk, but I couldn't produce any sound.  My mouth felt dry and empty.  I was at a complete loss for words.  My chest was pounding and my palms were sweaty.  All I could manage to utter was, "I'm so sorry.  I don't know what to say.  I'm praying."  She thanked me and hung up the phone.  I was in my bathroom, because it is the only place I can escape for a few minutes of silence.  As I stared at myself in the mirror, I felt angry.  "Why didn't you say something?  What is wrong with you?  You didn't offer her any encouragement or hope!"

"God!?" I cried out.  All I could say was, God?!  I was silent again.  My insides felt like they were forming knots.  My heart was still pounding and I began to cry.  I was at a complete loss for words.  I sat on the cold porcelain tile for a long time, silent.  God gently spoke a reminder to me. 

Romans 8:26-27 AMP    
    26 So too the [Holy] Spirit comes to our aid and bears us up in our weakness; for we do not know what prayer to offer nor how to offer it worthily as we ought, but the Spirit Himself goes to meet our supplication and pleads in our behalf with unspeakable yearnings and groanings too deep for utterance.  
    27And He Who searches the hearts of men knows what is in the mind of the [Holy] Spirit [what His intent is],    because the Spirit intercedes and pleads [before God] in behalf of the saints according to and in harmony with God's will. 

While I was without words, the Holy Spirit came to my rescue.  The infirmities of ourselves and those around us are many and great.  So great, that if left to ourselvees we would be overpowered by them.  Enter the Holy Spirit, as the enlightening Spirit, who teaches us how to pray, and what to pray for.  He is the wellspring of all desires toward God, which are often more than any words can utter.  The Spirit who searches our hearts, can perceive the mind and will of the Spirit and advocates our cause.  The Holy Spirit makes intercession on our behalf.  Our unspeakable yearnings and groanings are made known to God by His Spirit. 

If you feel you are without words, rest assured, He hears them.  The painful groaning that we can not articulate, God can.

5 comments:

  • Erin | April 11, 2012 at 11:56 AM

    Amy...that says it all. xoxo Erin

  • Melissa | April 11, 2012 at 12:22 PM

    Amy, Thank you for the reminder, I too have found myself flustered, "without words" even today. xo Melissa

  • Anonymous | April 11, 2012 at 12:48 PM

    This scripture is so amazing! It reminds me that even when the people who have been telling you how much they love you and will be there for you through your struggles...prove that they don't care by turning their back on you...that God will always sustain you! Even when it hurts to simply breath ...forget trying to find words....God knows. What a comfort!

  • Jenn | April 11, 2012 at 2:15 PM

    I've been facing many trials lately. I have run of prayers. I'm tired and worn out. Thankful his Spirit never gets tired.

  • Anonymous | April 12, 2012 at 3:25 PM

    Sometimes it's when we don't speak that we can actually say the most. You're silence has meant more to me than any perfect phrase! I can't thank you enough!

Post a Comment